2015 PartyPoker Mosconi Cup
Annual Europe v USA showdown set for Tropicana
THE NEW TROPICANA LAS VEGAS, arguably one of the most iconic brands on the Las Vegas Strip, will play host to the 22nd annual PartyPoker Mosconi Cup, which takes place from Monday December 7 to Thursday December 10.
Now making its seventh appearance in Las Vegas, the Mosconi Cup is pool’s biggest brand. Known as the ‘Ryder Cup of Pool’, it features two five-man teams representing the USA and Europe competing in a series of singles and doubles matches.
Televised throughout, the event is aired live in the UK and Ireland, Australia, the Middle East and the USA. In addition highlights packages will be aired in the likes of Holland, Italy, Canada and Germany, among others.
The New Tropicana Las Vegas has undergone an extensive $200 million transformation and looks forward to entertaining the biggest team event in cue sports.
With total domination by Team Europe in recent times – America last tasted victory in 2009 – Team USA will be looking to have the backing of the biggest crowd in Mosconi Cup history as they attempt to turn back the tide.
Commented Matchroom Sport Chairman Barry Hearn; “I am delighted to be taking the Mosconi Cup to the New Tropicana Las Vegas this year and after the huge crowds at Blackpool last December, I believe we can surpass that this time.
“It’s always very exciting to be taking the Mosconi Cup to a new venue and we will be working very hard with the all-new resort and casino over the coming months to make this one to remember.
“Las Vegas is always a special place for the Europeans and they have enjoyed great success in recent years but it’s about time that the USA side took back the Cup. With the support of a huge American crowd I believe that they will have every chance in December.”
Information on how to purchase tickets to pool’s number one event will be made available shortly.
The 2015 PARTYPOKER MOSCONI CUP is sponsored by PartyPoker, the world’s leading online poker site. The Official Table of the Mosconi Cup is supplied by Diamond Billiards, the cloth is supplied by Iwan Simonis and the Official Balls are Super Aramith by Saluc.
Luke Riches, Matchroom Sport: email@example.com
Notes: Matchroom Sport are one of the world’s leading producers of televised sport and are responsible for over 1,000 hours of original programming across a range of sports. Based in the UK and chaired by charismatic founder Barry Hearn, the Mosconi Cup is one of a stable of pool events that include the World Cup of Pool and the World Pool Masters.
Ten Facts about the Mosconi Cup
1. Played out annually each December, the MC debuted in 1994.
2. Despite recent dominance, the Europeans still trail the USA overall by 9-11.
3. Since the early 2000’s, the event is played on an annual home-and-away basis.
4. There are a maximum 21 matches during the Mosconi Cup. The first team to reach 11 carries off the famous trophy.
5. With a potential of 20 hours broadcast time, every shot of every rack is shown live.
6. The name of the game in 9 ball, whereby the player who pockets the final ball wins the rack.
7. Over the 21 years of the event, 72 different players have taken part. 38 have represented the USA and 34 have played for Europe.
8. To date the MC has taken place in ten different venues; the Tropicana will be the 11th.
9. Both sides are made up of the very best players from both continents with three from the annual rankings and two captain’s wildcards.
10. The event is named after the legendary Willie Mosconi, arguably the greatest of them all.